R.W. Symonds, English Furniture from Charles II to George II, 1929, p.31, fig.11 and p.33, figs. 12 and 13
Ronald Phillips 'Fine Antique English Furniture' 2014. Catalogue. No. 55. pg 120.
A Important George II walnut side table, with a breche violette marble top above a moulded frieze centrered by a satyr mask, standing on four cabriole legs headed by ' C ' scrolls hipped shells and acanthus, terminating in bold ball and claw feet.
This table attributed to Giles Grendy ( d.1780) bares strong similarity to the suite of seat furniture comprosing a side chair and settee that was formatlly in the colletion of Percival D. Griffiths F.S.A (1938) at Sandridgebury, Hertfordshire. Of particualr note is the common caved theme of the central satyr mask on these pieces
Grendey, cabinet-maker of St. John's Square, Clerkenwell, ran a substantial business from 1726 when he took on his first apprentices until at least the late 1760s; in 1766 he was appointed Master of the Joiners' Company. Described at his wife's death as a 'great Dealer in the Cabinet way', in 1755 at the time of his daughter's marriage to the Royal cabinet-maker, John Cobb (d.1778), he was referred to as an 'eminent Timber Merchant'
Grendy supplied a good number of walnut and mahogany pieces to aristocratic houses including Longford Castle, Stourhead and Barn Elms; he was also very involved in the timber and export business.