A particularly fine and large sized pair of early George III carved and gilded gesso mirrors with shaped plates. The upper part surmounted by a carved pagoda. The pierced frames are carved with chinoiserie elements, acanthus leaves, fronds, rockwork, and icicles.
This fabulous pair of mirrors are an impressive size and scale, and retain wonderful proportions. They incorporate many of the design elements created by William Kent and John Vardy, who were known to have worked together.
Vardy was commissioned by Earl Spencer (b. 1734-d. 1783) to design many areas of Spencer House that included the facades.
In addition to this Vardy also designed much of the interior of Spencer House and was commissioned to design and execute pieces of furniture.
One of the most notable rooms was the Palm Reception Room on the ground floor. The palm trees were chosen as a symbol of marital fertility and also to underline the eighteenth- century belief in the close connection between classical architecture, nature and the natural world. The present pair of mirrors were clearly heavily influenced by the design and contents of this room.
Vardy and Kent were two of the designers and architects that were instrumental in the naturalistic movement becoming so fashionable in England during the mid part of the 18th Century.