The Heydon Hall Chairs Attributed to Giles Grendy
An Important and very well documented pair of early George II side chairs in well figured veneered walnut and burr walnut, the carved shaped top rails centered by a shell above a shaped splat and with shaped seats covered in floral gros point and petit point needlework standing on carved cabriole legs carved with foliage and terminating in hairy paw feet, the seat rails stamped with journeyman initials
English circa 1740
Width: 22” 56cm
Depth: 21” 53cm
Height: 39 ¾” 101cm
The quality of this pair of chairs, pronounced stylistic elements and provenance offer a firm attribution, to them being made by the celebrated cabinetmaker Giles Grendey, who was born at Wooton-under-Edge in Gloucestshire in 1693. His workshop was at Aylesbury House, St. John’s Square, Clerkenwell, London
This pair of chairs were supplied to the antiquarian and Judge Advocate Augustine Earle (d.1762) for Heydon Hall, Norfolk and were likely introduced around 1740 during the Norfolk mansion's aggrandisement by the architect Matthew Brettingham (d.1769), who had gained renown for the construction of Holkham Hall, Norfolk.
Supplied to Augustine Earle (d. 1762) for Heydon Hall, Norfolk and then at Heydon until sold by Mrs. Granville Duff in London in 1930
Herbert Rothbarth at Checkendon Court, Reading, Berkshire in May 1960
Phillips of Hitchin, Hertfordshire October 1961 and exhibited at The London Antique Dealers Fair
Rhode Island Family, U.S.A.
London, The Antiques Dealers Fair, 1961
'Heydon Hall, Norfolk', Country Life, 22 December 1923, p. 905, fig. 10
C.Hussey, “Heydon Hall, Norfolk”, Country Life 22 December 1923, p.905. Fig 10 (shown in situ in The Hall)
J.Andrews. British Antique Furniture, Woodbridge, revised edition, 1998, page 116, plate 40
E.T. Joy. The country Life Book of Chairs. London 1967. page 38, figure 26
C. Gilbert, Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture, Leeds, 1996, pp. 241-2, figs. 434, 437 and 438).
The pair of chairs have a well documented Provenance that dates back from the early 18th Century.
They are an original Iconic design by Giles Grendy a great of 18th Century cabinet making.