The Stoke Place Mirrors
A Pair of George III Carved & Gilded Oval Mirrors
A beautifully proportioned and well carved pair of George III oval mirrors, the frame carved and gadrooned and surrounded with foliage and each surmounted by a basket of flowers
English circa 1765
Width: 35" 89 cn
Height: 61.5" 156 cm
Stoke Place, Sir George -Howard
Howard-Vyse familly (Thence by Descent)
Universal System of Household Furniture: W. Ince & J.Mayhew' 1762. pl 78-79
The Mirror Book: Herbert F. Schiffer pg 131 pl. 307
This wonderful pair of mirrors are in excellent condition and portray many of the stylistic elements that were so in vogue in England in the 1760's. Many of these designs present here, such as the acanthus, icicles and floral arrangements were interpreted by Thomas Chippendale and Mayhew & Ince, and were further popularised by their publications, namely Chippendale's 'Director' and Mayhew & Ince 'Universal System of Household Furniture'.
Stoke Place was built in 1690 by Patrick Lamb. In 1764 Field Marshall Sir George Howard bought the estate, and it became the family's home for 200 years. When Sir George Howard died in 1796 he left Stoke Place to his grandson Richard William Howard Vyse.
One mirror with A.H. Tripp & Son depository label inscribed ‘Howard-Vyse’.