In situ in the Dining Room of the Hotel Lambert, Paris.
A George III Regency dining table in figured mahogany with a reeded edge and a telescopic frame to accommodate three original leaves, the table stands on reeded legs which are headed by high quality brass threads and terminate in brass castors.
This table can seat 14.
The Hotel Lambert on the Ilse St Louis in Paris was designed by La Vau and built between 1640- 1644 with the interiors decorated by Charles Le Brun. In 1843 it was purchased by Prince Adam Jerzy Czartoski.
Baron de Rede lived there from 1947 and Salvador Dali and Brigette Bardot were among the guests at the Bal Orientale in 1969. The property was sold in 1975 and the table was removed.
The design and quality of construction, point to the table almost certainly being made by Gillows.
The firm of Gillows illustrated and patented their Imperial dining-table in 1804 and this drawing is preserved in the Westminster Archive Centre, London, England.
Its revolutionary features incorporated a internal extending mechanism for supporting the rails, and legs that were detachable, by means of high quality brass threads.